Saturday, February 4, 2012

Gift wrapping with organza and sinamay

It was a friend's birthday a couple of months ago, and I bought her a papier mache circular box as a gift.  I'm only blogging about it now as I was on a roll with my Christmas-related posts and couldn't fit this one in.
 

As all gift wrappers know, a circular-shaped object is difficult to wrap.  There is too much paper to fold, it always looks bulky and, worse, it crinkles around the edges.  Tissue paper is more forgiving than normal gift wrapping paper, but it still crinkles.  I usually end up wrapping odd-shaped gifts in coloured tissue paper, and wrapping it again in clear cellophane, bouquet-style.  I thought I'd try something different this time.

I started with white tissue paper.

 

I wrapped it again in off-white organza.


As organza does not have any structural integrity, I wrapped it again in my favourite material - sinamay - which I've featured in a few previous posts.  I used a light blue coloured sinamay, which contrasted nicely with the organza and provided the necessary support.


Keeping with the pastel theme, I finished it off with a pale green ribbon.


It's big, but the pastel colours keep the overall look subtle and a little bit dreamy.

Since using organza in this way, I've been looking for ways to use it again.   Organza comes in a range of colours, and can make tissue paper in a complementary colour look very elegant and grown up (eg black tissue paper and grey organza).  It is worth having a look in a fabric store for gift wrapping materials as you can create something quite unique, and fabric can overcome many of the difficulties in wrapping odd-shaped gifts.

No comments: