Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mothers Day - Fabric Covered Bag

I always make something for my Mum on Mothers' Day.  In the early years, Mum graciously received paper flowers, seedpod jewellery, objets de macaroni, and cards with lots of glitter, silver stars and some crazy texta work.  I also occasionally made Mum breakfast in bed.  When I was seven, I remember making her an egg and toast combination from a children's cookbook I had borrowed from the library.  It involved buttering two slices of bread, cutting a hole in the middle of one slice using a biscuit cutter, putting this on top of the other slice, cracking an egg into the hole and then baking it in a hot oven.  There may have been a tomato or tomato paste involved, but that part is a bit of a blur.  However, I vividly recall getting up early and making this dish on my own, which was a big deal as it involved putting the gas oven on all by myself.   The dish worked out a treat, but it was back in the day when Pure and Simple baking spray was popular and I had sprayed that oven tray within an inch of its life.  I proudly took it into Mum, who was her usual gracious self, but did mention a certain Pure and Simple flavour permeating the bread.  I learnt an important lesson that day. 

So, for today, Mothers Day 2012, I made this cherry crumble cheesecake of awesomeness from Dan Lepard's book "Short and Sweet - The Best of Home Baking". 


In the gift wrapping department, I continued with my use of fabric, this time covering a large gift bag with a 1930's inspired floral print.


I started by measuring the front, base and sides of the bag, and cut the fabric to size.


I removed the existing handles and, using craft glue, stuck the fabric onto the bag, beginning with the base.


I then made some holes where the handles used to be, and threaded through some matching ribbon, tying a knot at each end.


Just the right kind of gift bag for a dressing gown.

No comments: