Sunday, July 15, 2012

Decorating Gift Bags with Washi Tape

I've recently discovered the joys of washi tape. I bought a few rolls on a whim at a craft fair a couple of months ago thinking I would use them to seal gift bags.  I had seen other bloggers use washi tape as decoration on cards, wrapping paper and gift bags, but never thought it was my cup of tea.  Too random and unstructured, I thought.  Well, let me tell you, I have never felt so free!


Inspiration came during the week in the form of some decorated wrapping.  I had purchased a few bits and pieces on etsy, and some of the purchases arrived wrapped in brown paper and decorated in washi tape.  It was a complete revelation that the random placement of torn washi tape could create such an effortless look.  It is this breeziness that appeals to me, the less is more quality that seems thrown together at the last minute but isn't. While there are no rules, you still need to make some strategic decisions about placement and colour to achieve a balanced look.  

With that in mind, here are the results of my first foray into the world of washi tape.


I started small......


....added some lace flourishes....


... grew in confidence....



and then went completely too far....


Less is definitely more, but it was fun going there.

These little rice paper rolls of colour add the 'sweetness and functionality' to a gift bag that the manufacturer (mt masking tape) is looking for.  I'll definitely be using it again.

No comments: