Sunday, September 2, 2012

Paper Butterflies #2

I've gone a little butterfly crazy since my last post.  I invested in a large butterfly paper punch, and have been adding butterflies to everything I possibly can.


Before going any further though, I have a confession to make.  I once killed a cabbage moth for the sake of art.  I was trying to add a touch of realism to a Mothers Day card I was making.  My vision was a nature scene and, in my seven year old head, I thought the moth would lift the card to another level. My Mum was very gracious about it but, honestly, what was I thinking?  For the record, dead insects have never featured in my card-making activities again, and my relationship with the insect kingdom is extremely positive. For example, a large spider has been living on the outside of my kitchen window for almost a year and I have never once thought of reaching for the Baygon. And this is coming from someone who screamed the entire way through the movie "Arachnophobia".

Anyhoo, back to the beautiful world of butterflies.  Here are a couple of really simple ideas.

Take a coloured paper gift bag, preferably duck egg blue.  Stick a small paper doily in the middle of the bag using double sided tape.  Punch out a butterfly in black card, glue it down the centre and place it in the middle of the doily.


The doily and the butterfly create a simple silhouette, and add a touch of old-fashioned elegance to the bag.

Another idea is the double whammy butterfly on a small gift box.  Using the template I created for the previous post, I cut out a large butterfly from light brown card.  For the smaller butterfly, I punched it from the paper I used to wrap the gift box.


The butterfly adds height and texture to an otherwise plain box.

Enough butterflies for a while....but they will be back!

No comments: