Sunday, October 21, 2012

Gift wrapping with flowers

I have pastry hands, not origami hands, and this is partly because I have difficulty following instructions for origami.  I seem to get to the half way point in any paper folding activity when things start to go awry.  I have the same issue with instructions for any kind of electrical equipment.  It is all gobbledygook to me.  Fortunately, I have a brother who understands these things and provides tech support for my entire family.  Unfortunately, I don't know an origami master who I can call on. I really like origami and have a beautiful book on how to make origami flowers.  I haven't managed to complete one yet and am starting to develop origami related fear.  However, I have managed to stop this becoming any worse by discovering how to make a really simple flower of a non-origami nature.


Start by choosing a selection of double-sided scrapbooking paper in complementary colours.  You can make the leaves using the same paper, but if green leaves are more your thing, you'll need a sheet of green paper too. You'll also need some floral wire stems and craft glue.


Cut a square of paper, about 13 x 13 cm.


Either draw a spiral in pencil on the paper or, trust yourself, and start cutting.  It doesn't have to be even.  Nature isn't.

Roll the paper up until you reach the centre and then let the paper unravel in your hand.  It should now resemble a ranunculus.




Glue a floral stem onto the back of the flower.


Cut out a leaf shape and glue it over the top of the stem.  I used a lilly pilly leaf as a template.



Make a whole bunch.....


....and place it on a present for your Mum.




4 comments:

Merryn@merrynsmenu said...

What a perfect Mother's Day offering, or any friend's birthday for that matter. These are adorable. Thank you for showing your technique, I trust it is not copyrighted :D cheers Merryn

PBS said...

Thanks Merryn. Based on my very limited understanding of copyright law, there is no copyright in an idea or technique (however written descriptions are protected) so go forth and start making these flowers!

Merryn@merrynsmenu said...

Lucy I had a go at your ranunculus flowers last night. Firstly I tried with cardstock, but then with some gorgeous craft paper it was easier to cut and create the flower effect. Mine are not as professional as yours, but they look great stuck onto envelopes, so thanks for your description and suggestion.
Kind regards Merryn (merrynsmenu.blogspot.com)

PBS said...

Merryn, I am so thrilled you made the flowers (and my instructions made sense!). Thank you for sharing the results.