Sunday, October 9, 2011

Gift wrapping with doilies

I knew this would have to come out sooner or later.  I like doilies. There, I've said it.  Here are some I have collected from Op shops over the years:


Doilies have been around for a long time, and apparently date back to the 11th century.  They reached their zenith in the 19th century and no Victorian drawing room was complete without a collection of dust- gathering doilies.  However, let's face it, doilies are no longer a popular decorating choice, except with some nannas. 

I like doilies because of their link the past, in particular, the role that needlework played in the creative lives of women.  It took a certain kind of woman who, after spending hours putting clothes through a mangle, wanted to sit down and crochet intricate patterns with cotton thread in failing light.  Sure, some of those women didn't have to work and, in between husband-hunting activities, could focus entirely on sewing a fine seam.  However, I like that, for a period in history, needlework was a skill that many women from all walks of life shared. 

All of the doilies I have collected have been made by machines.  But this does not detract from their beautiful patterns and textures. 






It also means that I don't feel guilty when I re-purpose them for gift-wrapping and card making activities. 

Using craft glue that is suitable for fabric, you can stick doilies onto just about anything.  Here are some ideas for bags and boxes:






For these cards, I cut out flowers from a table runner and glued them on:


You can even use a doilie to give a old t-shirt some interest:



Next time you are in an Op shop, I'd encourage you to go down to that dusty corner and find the old shoebox with the neglected doilies and hankies. After a soak and a wash, they can be given a new lease of life.


No comments: